General Benefits of using Sunbeds
The most well known benefit of using a sunbed is achieving a dark, sunkissed tan, but aside from skin tanning they can possess many more benefits such as;
- Activating Vitamin D – One of the main benefits in terms of health which is associated with tanning beds is the production of vitamin D. Vitamin D has been proven to help many health problems – the main one being Seasonal Effective Disorder (also known as SAD). This is caused by a lack of Vitamin D.
- Boosts beauty and confidence – The UV produced from a tanning bed increases the creation of endorphins, also known as “happy hormones”which causes a person to be in a good mood and boost energy levels.
- It can help you lose weight – The UV lights present in a sunbed stimulate the production of nitric oxide, which in turn will boost your metabolism.
Tanning Differences in Stand up and Lay down Sunbeds
Many people think the only difference between these types of beds is the position of them. However, these two types have distinctive differences when it comes to tanning your skin.
Stand up sunbeds can give your skin a deeper colour, which is due to the bulbs in stand up beds being more intense than the bulbs in a lay down sunbed. So if you are aiming to achieve a very dark tan then a stand up may be the sunbed for you!
Stand up beds may also give you a more even tan due to the way UV rays are distributed in a 360 degree fashion. In a lay down sunbed it is suggested that you move around during the tanning session to achieve the most even tan possible.
Time Frame Differences in Stand up and Lay down Sunbeds
You can get a tan faster in a stand up tanning booth. The tanning time per session usually lasts around 10 to 15 minutes. A lay down tanning bed, meanwhile, takes you about 20 minutes to get the desired results.
As mentioned earlier, the bulbs used in a tanning booth usually have a higher level of intensity than in a lay down tanning bed. Some booths only have a wire mesh to protect the users from lamps, making the UVA rays and UVB rays transmit faster.
Space Differences in Stand up and Lay Down Sunbeds
Lay down tanning beds may not be ideal for people who are claustrophobic. So individuals who do not like to be enclosed in a small space may opt for a stand up bed. In some cases, stand up beds are a little bigger than a lay down bed.
Stand up Tanning Bed
- Lamps are more intense.
- The tan might be more even.
- 10 to 15 minutes per session
- No contact with the surface
- Standing position
Lay down Tanning Bed
- Lamps are usually less intense.
- The tan might be not that even because of the pressure points.
- 15 to 20 minutes
- Contact with surface
- A relaxed, laying position